6/1/09

Hearing Aid Retailers and the World Wide Web


PROSEPCTS FIND YOU THROUGH
LOCALIZED WEB SITES

Most of my friends who sell hearing aids – either as a one or two store independent or the owner of 12 franchises across a large geographic service area – employ a web site as part of their overall marketing campaign.

Unfortunately, for many, these websites were built years ago and have the look and features of 2004. Ancient in search engine years. Today, more and more search engine users are entering geo-specific keywords into search engine query boxes. More than half of those who find my site organically employ local search to find me.

That’s why I keep an up-to-date web site optimized for local search. How about you?

Selling hearing Aids In Bora Bora
That’s a few time zones out of your service area so if some Bora Boran stumbles upon your hearing center, chances are you aren’t going to make a sale in Kansas. I can look at my site metrics and tell which keywords deliver the most organic (non-paid) traffic and it’s localized search by a country mile.

That’s because I live in the country – the beautiful state of Vermont. My service area up here covers 25-35 miles because of the low density population so I want the people in that service area to find my stores when they go on line looking for hearing aid information.

I’m not interested in the query from Bora Bora. I wouldn’t and couldn’t sell hearing aids without a face-to-face and a top-down analysis of buyer’s needs and wants. How can I do that if I’m in Vermont? So, I optimize my website for local search.

Key Keywords
My number one keyword for organic traffic is “hearing aids Vermont” followed close behind by “vermont hearing aid stores.” So, I optimize my website using the most popular keywords. I also use hearing devices VT, hearing devices with zip codes of my stores, and a mix and match of these phrases.

This indexes my web site locally in Google, Yahoo or any of the other big search engines. And I’m reaching prospects who actually live in my area – men and women I can help in their search for the right hearing aids.

Localize Your Hearing Center’s Website
First, aid localized keywords. These should be added to your HTML keyword tag and should appear in your site text throughout the site. One good way to do this is to include contact information on every page. It helps prospects and search engines localize your web site.

Provide a printable map to your retail outlets. I also like to provide written directions that can be printed with a click.

Each web site should include pictures of your business exterior (We’re Here!) and pictures of the interior, sparking clean and neat as a pin. This is a trust builder, but it also accurately represents your high standards of professionalism – another confidence builder.

Add your web address to all printer marketing – newspaper ads, brochures and take-aways, business cards – everything. The web site is designed to reach the very people who read these things. And if they want to learn more (and they will), they can visit your web site.

Web Design
In addition to a map and written directions, be sure to include the benefits of choosing you as the prospect’s hearing professional. Why you?

personalized, customized service

local repairs and battery swaps

free, lifetime after care of the hearing aids you sell

easy, local shopping

a local face – someone like the prospect

a quality, trusted neighborhood professional

These are the qualities hearing aid buyers are looking for. So, you’ll drive more organic traffic to your web site if you highlight the benefits of buying from your store.

A lot of hearing aid retailers are now encountering competition from the big box stores that deliver top-quality hearing aids at lo prices. However, the trust factor and the “localization” aren’t there.

I want to buy my eyeglasses from a small, retail outlet where I can speak to the owner. In fact, the owner and I are friends. Trusted friends. This is the same objective of using search engines and local search to help people find out more about your service and product offerings, hours of business, a telephone number to make an appointment and even printable directions.

I’ve thrown in the towel on the Bora Bora market, but my appointment book is full thanks, n part, to my localized website.



John M. Adams III
jma3@jmadamsvt.com

No comments: