2/24/09

Don’t Sell Your Customers. Educate Them!


Hearing aid practitioners form the interface between manufacturer and consumer. You won’t find a Phonak salesperson working with a customer. You won’t find an Oticon technician administering hearing evaluations at the local hearing aid outlet. Instead, it’s the hearing aid practitioner – the hearing aid dispenser – who interacts between manufacturer and end user – the consumer.

 

And that puts us in a unique position to actually educate prospects, not just sell them a hearing aid or two. I’ve found, over the years, that an informed consumer is (1) grateful for the advice and guidance and (2) becomes a part of my client base. These buyers come back when they need after-sale items or another hearing evaluation. Why? Because I didn’t try to sell them a hearing aid. I taught them about the hearing process and hearing technology.

 

So, what should today’s hearing aid retailer be prepared to discuss? Well, I assume the buyer knows little or nothing about hearing or hearing aids. This way, I start at the beginning and walk the consumer through the process of selecting, fitting and living with a hearing device.

 

How do we hear?

It happens so automatically that most people simply take it for granted. I use a cut-away diagram to explain the delicate intricacies of the hearing mechanism. If the customer has the results of an audiograph I explain how the ear drum picks up and vibrates to different frequencies and how that individual’s hearing loss came about, if I know the reason. (Of course, sometimes we don’t know the underlying cause in which case, it’s best to be straightforward with the buyer.)

 

Any way, once the customer understands the complex procedure that is hearing and interpretation of sound (localization, recognition, et al) they simultaneously recognize the need to address hearing loss to keep the problem from progressing.

 

What is a hearing aid?

I’m amazed at the misconceptions that laypeople have about hearing aids. Most believe that a hearing aid is simply a device that amplifies sound. Maybe that’s why so many buyers experience sticker shock in your showroom after seeing hearing devices for $14.95 advertised on the TV.

 

I always open the hearing aid case to show the buyer the complex digital circuitry and explain how a hearing aid can be tuned by the practitioner to not only boost hearing but prevent further hearing loss caused by adaptive listening devices (ALDs).

 

What should I look for in a hearing aid?

Most buyers don’t even know where to start or what questions to ask. This is the part of my job I love most – teaching the benefits of today’s hearing aids.

The four areas I cover with each customer are:

 

Wearing Comfort

I remind each buyer that s/he will be wearing these devices for 14 hours a day so they should be comfortable. A simple review of the pros and cons of various types of devices – CIC, BTE, etc. – helps the buyer make the right decision for his or her preferences and lifestyle.

 

Hearing Comfort.

I stress this during my initial consultation. Some customers want the discretion of a CIC unit from the moment they walk through my door. That is until I describe the problems of CICs – stuffy ear feeling, distorted voice image and so on.

 

I then introduce the concept of hearing openness provided by BTEs. I explain that BTEs deliver a more natural, less processed sound – an open, airier sound – than a CIC, for example. However, once I’ve laid out the pros and cons, i.e., educated the consumer on hearing comfort and options, I don’t debate. The consumer knows what s/he wants and what the priorities are.

 

Automated Convenience

As hearing aid practitioners, we know the value of automated convenience to quality of life. Automated feedback suppression, automated volume adjustments, data logging – all tools that enhance the hearing aid experience.

 

However, these automated features cost money and hearing aid costs are usually the number one priority for buyers. That’s why I take my time here to explain that the conveniences will be with the buyer every day for years to come while the extra money spent on these conveniences will be forgotten in just days. Now, this may sound like I’m selling but I also believe it’s the truth. I’ve seen too many unhappy buyers return a year or two after buying a low-cost device to buy up and get some of those conveniences that making wearing a hearing aid simpler.

 

Wireless Connectivity

This feature, available from many manufacturers, grows in importance every day as the wireless network expands. Cell phones, MP3 players, laptops – if you want to stay connected to the communications grid today you need wireless.

 

Of course, many consumers don’t own cell phones or MP3 players so they don’t need this convenience. This allows me to show the buyer less expensive units or units that offer features that particular buyer will actually use. For instance, I had a customer who was much more interested in being able to swim each day with his hearing aids in place. That was more important than wireless connectivity so we quickly switched over to water-resistant and water-proof models.

 

What about cost?

This is always a tough point. Who’s got $5,000 to spend on a pair of high-end hearing aids? I don’t and I retail them!

 

There are low-cost financing options available, either through government programs or local financing through your outlet. The point is this: hearing aid practitioners are tasked with fitting the right device to best suit the consumers’ needs, preferences and pocketbook and I’ll do whatever it takes to make sure that my customers leave my store with the right device.

 

In other words. I’ll do everything I can to help finance a purchase (assuming a quick credit check delivers the news I’m looking for). Once again, by providing financing options, you’re educating the buyer.

 

Stop selling. Start teaching.

As professionals, our work is client-centered NOT profit-centered. Sure, we have to pay the bills – the rent, utilities, payroll, manufacturers – there has to be good cash flow to be able to offer the quality of service and the broadest array of options available.

 

So, what can you do to better help your customers? In-store demonstrations? How about an outreach program for those people who can’t get to the store? What can you do to be a better hearing aid practitioner?

 

Answer that question and your business grows automatically with good word of mouth – the best advertising there is.

 

Stop selling. Start teaching. Then, watch your business grow.

No comments: